2.10.2011

Tiny Tales Thursday...

We do a lot of "I'm sorry's" in our house. With a hyper, enthusiastic, sensitive, loud, talkative, opinionated three year old boy this is expected.

One night last week Radley kicked a toy which is a big no-no (some kids don't even have toys, so we try to teach him to respect and love his). So I told him not to do that, tell the toy he's sorry, etc... To which the reaction was a giant fit complete with tears to which MY reaction was: go to time out.

He is very good at going to "time out". Goes straight to his room, takes all his stuffed animals out of the time out chair, sits, cries, etc...

Radley has been throwing a lot of "unnecessary" fits lately so I was determined to prove a point. I told him he had to sit in time out until he thought 3 minutes were up and come apologize to Mommy. I also let him know that we needed to think about what he was sorry for before attempting the apology (I know, he's only 3). About 10 minutes later he comes up to me and says he's sorry.

Me: What are you sorry for?
Rad: I don't know
Me: Then go back to time out until you know.
Radley proceeds to go back to time out, inching his chair closer and closer to the hallway to be near us.

Attempt 2:
Rad: I'm sorry, Mommy
Me: What are you sorry for?
Rad: I don't know.

Again back to his chair.

Attempt 3:
Rad: I'm sorry, Mommy.
Me: What are you sorry for?
Rad: Kicking my toy and throwing a fit.
Me: Thank you, Radley...you can go play now.
Radley: Wow, Mommy; that was really tricky!

And then I obviously smiled and regretted that I sent him to time out at all. I mean, who can be mad at a kid when they say the cutest things in the world?!? 

1 comment: