6.12.2011

Emmy's First Birthday (pt one)...

Let me begin this post with a little story... 

In February of 2010 I went on a work trip to New York City (job perk, what?!). Ryan and I had just recently found out that we were expecting a girl, so I was determined to buy some cute "NY" stuff. My friends were so sweet to go all across Manhattan with me (in between work functions, of course) on the hunt for the perfect finds. Well, we found the most adorable pink and orange dress and I knew right then that I would be having a pink and orange themed birthday party for Emersyn and that would be her party dress. (It's also the dress from her invitation)

So, pink and orange it was! I didn't really want any "theme" but did love an invitation I saw that said the "BIG One", so I thought it would be cute to have a "big top" feel without being too circus-y. Just bright, colorful and fun! 

Welcome to Emmy's BIG One...



I (with the help of KK and my Mom) made about 20 feet of pink and orange "ragamuffin garland" and used it everywhere! It is easy to make and relatively inexpensive depending on the fabric selection. It's also adorable and can make anything cute like this wreath on the front door. 


It's funny what I thought about doing for Emmy's first birthday as opposed to Radleys. For his first birthday I had tons of pics of him everywhere and labeled parts of our house with funny memories from that room. With Emmy I drew in parts of our memories with her in more subtle ways like the entry table...
Remember this picture?




I used the basin to hold her party favors and yes, I realize that  I was probably the only one that realized that! :) But isn't it cute?!?! 

(Yes I realize this garland isn't pink and orange, but her baby book is green so this one looked better)


I can't believe she fit in that thing!


And this hangs in her room normally but I thought it would be fun for everyone to see... 


Above the gift table looking outside to the "backyard party"...


Where the BIG circus, carnival, party fun was to be had!


Emmy's cake eating throne was front and center... 


We made cute pinwheels out of scrapbook paper and just had them all over the yard...


And these were probably my favorite part!!! My future SIL (hint hint Uncle Pete) painted these...


E is for Emmy - a pin the tail on the Elephant game... 


A picture station... 



And Radley's "Big Brother" bean bag toss... These were a big hit!


And of course no party is complete without food... 


Ok, this may tie for my favorite part... the CAKES! IN MASON JARS!!! I totally stole this idea from a picture online and then something one of my students did at our end of year banquet. And then I enlisted the help of a very dear friend to come over and help, aid, assist, bake them with me!

You just make box cake (or whatever secret family recipe you have) and bake them right in the jar. Let them cool completely and then ice them as you see fit. Then just add whatever little accessory you wish to make them even cuter.

The best part was people could just grab one and go, I didn't have to slice a cake! 



And they were delicious!


The party was just tons of fun to put together and even more fun to attend...

No comments:

Post a Comment