7.05.2011

Red, White and Blue...


We had such a wonderful long weekend celebrating with family and friends!

One of the perks of living in College Station besides being the home of Texas A&M - it is also the home to George HW Bush's Presidential Library.

Ryan is kind of a history buff, so he wanted to visit the GBL - I am NOT a history buff... it's just not something that I am really "good" at or really interested in (I know, I know) BUT I'm so glad we went! There is just something so "American" about it and I think it will become a pretty neat family tradition. 



I love it when Radley wants to be right next to his Daddy. 



There were thousands of flags surrounding the library in honor of all of our troops. 

Inside they had "special guests" like Lady Liberty, Abe Lincoln, George Washington and other famous people in history. I tried to get Radley to take a picture but he wasn't really in the mood. This was the best I could get of him and Emmy. 

He is all Guercio in this pic. ;)


I could have spent all day in the museum. We have been several times but I feel like I learn something new with each visit. One section hit me harder this time than in the past. They have a small section dedicated to their daughter, Robin, who died from leukemia. She was 3 years, 10 months old. Radley will be 3 years, 10 months old tomorrow. After reading about her life and what she meant to their family I stood there crying. I instantly grabbed Radley and just hugged him as long as he let me. I can't even imagine and pray that I never have to.

Things I know:

1. They don't make people like George HW Bush anymore
2. His family history is amazing
3. Barbara Bush is awesome
4. Regardless of party line you have to give credit to his integrity
5. They are pretty funny people -- there is one section devoted to outtakes, skits, etc... and shows Dana Carvey's infamous SNL skit, Barbara on Letterman trying to get a free hotdog, crazy interviews, etc..

Emmy and Radley loved the "library" section the most... she is so smart that she can read upside down! 


He would have taken this book home if we would have let him. 


Clearly this was a favorite as well. :) 


We had such a fun day - wish we could live that slow paced all the time. 


One thing we can do is remember our freedoms and give thanks for them always.

Happy Fourth Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment