4.11.2012

It's a GIRL...

When you're pregnant you get to hear LOTS of comments varying from fun to annoying. 
You also get lots of questions...

** Is this your first?
** How far along are you? 
** Can I touch your stomach?
** Are you getting any sleep?
** How are you going to keep up with 3 kids?
** How many are you going to have?

All innocent in nature. 

My favorite question to answer this go round was "Are you having a boy or a girl?" because I liked the reactions of me informing them that we were being surprised by gender. This reaction also varied...

"Wow! That is just great! No one does that anymore!"
"What? YOU are being surprised? How are YOU going to do that?"
"Oh, I could never do that. I am way too much of a planner."

I'd sometimes get the follow up asking why we decided to be surprised this time. 

So I wanted to share a little about why we did make this decision and why we are SO glad that we did. 




January 19, 2010 - we found out that Radley was going to have a little sister. About 1 minute after we found this out, I looked at Ryan and told him that when we have a 3rd baby we can definitely be surprised because we'd have one of each! I mean, why would we need to know? 

We also have friends and family that were surprised by gender. My brother and SIL didn't find out the gender with their one and only son, Owen and TRIED to convince us to do the same with Radley and Emersyn. Josh and Cindy were also surprised with Millicent and offered support and encouragement for us to keep it a secret, too. 

So, when week 20 rolled around and that fateful sonogram was scheduled, we stuck with our decision to be surprised. (And Landry helped because she did not offer even a tiny glance to Kristin, our nurse). As the weeks progressed there was never a time either of us regretted not finding out. 


(Sidenote: doesn't she have a lovely monogram)

This made a few things difficult, liking deciding on a name and buying clothes - but it gave us the opportunity to focus on a BABY. We loved making a room that has become the favorite in the house and we loved talking to Radley and Emersyn about becoming big siblings. 

I treasured each and every movement "MAK" made wondering who (s)he would look like. How big or small (s)he would be, if (s)he would come out with a head of hair, and just what (s)he was going to be like as a baby, child, adult. The unknown was unknowingly comforting and fulfilling - more than I thought it would be. 

It was so fun playing the guessing game and one day "feeling" like MAK was a boy and the next a girl. We didn't have any "pre-conceived" identity as we awaited the arrival of MAK - just the absolute blessing that we were having a baby. The morning of delivery was made that much more fun because we had the added treat of NOT knowing whether we were going to meet our son or daughter. The anticipation was just so much fun - even for the planner like me!


But, the best reason, the most wonderful part of it all happened at 9:48am on March 16, 2012 as she was lifted up and I looked at Ryan and asked, "Boy or girl? Boy or girl"...and he looked  at me and said, "It's a girl, babe. We have another girl!" 

And then she was placed in my arms and I got to meet Miss Lillian Landry King for the very first time. My heart made room one more time for a small wonder that would instantly cause me to love more than I could imagine. My daughter. My SECOND daughter was here and healthy and more lovely than I could dream. 

There is nothing that could have made that moment more special - I will remember it forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment