6.07.2012

Tiny Tales Thursday...

I think Radley's tales may be changing. He is growing and learning so much so quick and it scares me. He notices things and is no longer satisfied with one word answers to his never ending questions. Yesterday we were driving home from school and he noticed the person in the car next to us was smoking.

Rad: That man is smoking, Mommy.
Me: Yep. That's yucky!
Rad: A lot of people smoke, right?
Me: Well, not as many people smoke as they used to.
Rad: Just boys smoke?
Me: No, girls smoke, too. But no one should because it's bad for you. That's why not as many people smoke because they know it can make you sick now.
Rad: Well, if they know it makes you sick, then why do they smoke anyway?
Me: thinking to self ... Am I really going to have a conversation about addiction with my 4 year old?

I gave him an explanation that seemed to satisfy him and we ventured to a new conversation about planets or dinosaurs or buildermen (construction workers). Then we got to a stoplight and I "checked my phone" like so many of us do out of a ridiculous habit these days.

Rad: Mommy, how do you know the light is green if you aren't looking?
Me: Well, buddy. ::putting down phone:: That's a great question. I won't look at my phone.

Wow! What a great reminder to be in the moment and focused on what's important. This little dude is growing up fast and I am so proud of him. But, I do hope he still remembers to stay little for just a while longer. 

****************************************

Me: Emmy!!! It's your birthday!!
Emmy: Emmy. Birthday!! Happy Birthday!
Me: Emmy, how old are you?
Emmy: TWO!! (holding up five fingers).

Her voice is finally catching up with the rest of her. Let the tales begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment