10.23.2012

Soulful Sunday...

You know those Sunday sermons that just hit you in the heart? The ones that make you think way past the end of service into the next day and your week? Today's service will stick with me for a long time - hopefully forever. I think it changed me and the way I view my relationships with others. And I wanted to share it with you.

Deacon Frank was talking specifically about a hymn that was sung at his Deacon ceremony. It resonated with him and we sung it during the offertory. The funny thing is this particular hymn has always been one of my favorites. It has a nice melody and movement and I have always liked.

But on Sunday I heard it. Does that make sense?

Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey, we are trav'lers on the road.
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load. 

I will hold the Christ-light for you in the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping, when you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow til we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven, we shall find such harmony.
Born of all we've known together of Christ's love and agony.

Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant, too.

Isn't that beautiful? 

What if we approached our relationships like this? Clearly in marriage - really...how much better would marriage be if we approached it in this way? But also in all of our relationships? With strangers, loved ones, people that we don't always agree with... how much better could our world be? 

I hope we raise our children to LIVE this hymn. I hope that we can set that example for them. I just think it is such a simple and amazing message. 

Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment