5.15.2013

Pre-K Graduation...


We had a big day yesterday - Radley graduated from Pre-K!

(can I break for a moment and discuss the fact that while this is HUGE, I didn't know things like this existed until I had kids. I stayed home with my mom until kindergarten but we celebrated the end of that year with a giant luau - complete with paperbag grass skirts. But I digress). 

It was a BIG day. SO big in fact that we decided it merited Radley's first delivery of celebratory balloons. 

I was SO excited about this. 
(please excuse the out-of-focus. Ryan is many things, but profo photog is not one of them. Love ya babe!)



However, balloons are considered a choking hazard and not allowed in the classrooms. 

womp womp.

We snapped a few pics before the ceremony so we wouldn't be rushed after. Please note Emersyn's enthusiasm for the blessed occasion. 


And of course one with Gigi and Pops.





Then he ran back to his classroom to get ready for the "show."

I have to admit - I have been pretty confident in this whole "Radley is going to kindergarten" process. I absolutely loved school so I am excited for him to start this new phase. 

But.

The second that music came on and these kids started walking down the aisle. I lost it. 

I have literally known these three since the day they were born. I know every story, every celebration, {almost} every hard day. Ryan and I were the first ones to know Kayla's name - Caroline's first night away from home was with us. 

Which then made me spiral into the almost ugly cry reflecting on all the moments I have shared with this beautiful group of people that I am blessed to call my friends. 



But I kept it together - because seeing the joy and pride on his face... well, that makes my heart more than happy.



The ceremony was a great combination of sappy and sweet. Each kid had their very own speaking part - from starting the Pledge of Allegiance to reciting a prayer and offering thanks to the parents. The audience was full of smiles.

They also played a video that included pics from their time at the school - what a joy to see his former chubby cheeks pop up on the screen. We also got a glance at their future as they recorded their responses to "what do you want to be when you grow up". Answers included: a fireman, a teacher, a horse rider, a secret agent, a video gamer, a "grown up", a person who gives rides to people who don't have cars, and my personal favorite... "a campus activities person so I can play at Kyle Field Day". 

:)


Then of course it was time to pass out "diplomas". The teachers had reminded the kids to stop and smile for pictures and it is moments like this when all of that insane photo-taking pays off. 

Look at that kid.

(as an aside - Radley received the "most photogenic" award in the class.)


I was so proud of the class - each of these kids was just as excited for their friends as they were for themselves. They all listened and sat still and illustrated exactly the kind of big kid they have each become.


And he just couldn't stop beaming. 



After the ceremony we headed to the lobby for some cookies and punch. And of course more pictures! 

Uncle Pete may have even been holding back some tears himself.
;)


He insisted on a picture with each of his teachers. I just followed him around with my camera and took as many pics as he requested.

Miss Kari, Miss Katy, Ms. Molly, Miss Tori, Miss Kristen, Mrs. Isabel, Mrs. Kim, Ms. Katy, and Ms. Vivan - he loves each of them so much!


Then of course lots of his friends, too.



I don't know why - but this picture gets me. 

Look at them.

Seriously.

My life flashes forward 13 years as they prep to walk across a bigger stage and take a bigger leap in their journeys. I have been given such a gift in my life in that I am still friends with people I have known since I was his age. I pray that these kiddos and their parents continue to be part of our lives as well. Surrounding yourself with those that lift you higher is an important part of growing up and these kiddos are some of the best. 


One final pic of the graduate...Mr. William Radley King

Weekday School Class of 2013
:)




We headed to eat with the HMMs, the Baileys and the Kurtens. We quickly let Radley open some congratulatory gifts and changed the kids back into play clothes in the parking lot (because we like to keep it classy). His favorite item came from Emmy and she finally attempted a real smile. 



Then it was time for some fun at Lupe Tortilla - also known as the greatest restaurant on earth. Seriously, they have the BEST play area for kids - so the adults can enjoy some chips and salsa with a side of margs while we are waiting for the real food to show up. 

They even have a washing station to clean off all that sand. We love this place.


And so does she....


and clearly he does, too!


Landry could have cared less about the playground - she consumed an entire bowl of beans, mac and cheese, 2 tortillas and numerous chips. Her Daddy was proud.


And like most great nights tend to do - the celebration ended all too soon. 



We said good night and packed this precious cargo into our cars. What a privilege it has been to watch them grow and learn and succeed and even fail. Love you kiddos.

And love you Radley King. All the way from earth, to mars, to venus, over the milky way through the moon... and back.



No comments:

Post a Comment