9.09.2013

Golden tickets...also known as the most anti-climactic Disney reveal ever....


I feel like I need to preface this post. So, I apologize for all the words you are about to consume. 

I have basically been planning the kids' "golden" birthdays since the day they were born. It's just who I am. We all know it. We should just accept it and move on.

We decided that we wanted to do BIG trips for each of them and at first thought about Disney World for Radley. But the more we discussed, we decided that DW needed to wait until all 3 kiddos could love and appreciate it. So, naturally we thought of DisneyLand. Which is an even better idea because DL is only 45 minutes away from Jody, Sonya and "cousin Owen" who Radley has a slight obsession with. 

We scored AMAZINGLY priced airline tickets way back in April so the whole family is going.

I was ECSTATIC about this gift. 

I just knew that Radley was going to pee his pants or cry. Or both. And while I don't really want my 6-year-old to ever have to experience either of those things - for the sake of excitement it **may** have been worth it. 

Hypothetically speaking of course. 

So. The big night gets here. Gigi had strategically mailed the girls these adorable Minnie Mouse nightgowns to wear during the gift opening. So I talked Radley into wearing his Mickey pjs so we could send Gigi a picture. 

It was clearly perfect. 

I mean, duh. 

So... after Rad puts on his pjs I casually tell him that I think there may be one more surprise left. 

Everyone gathers in the living room and we are set up. Ryan is video taping, I have the camera, the kids are placed on the fireplace. I mean... it was clearly going to be like this:

image

And then he begins to open... 


One more smile for the camera... 


oops... the box fell open. The tickets are now buried underneath all that "fun" gold stuff I added for effect...


He picks up the tickets while Emmy is distracted by the gold stuff... 


"Cool. What is this?"

So Ryan and I interject with a series of questions...

(meanwhile, Landry has since left her perch and is SCREAMING in the background because she wants the phone Daddy is holding. Pops tries to distract her by playing in the way that only Pops know how which is letting her fall and catching her by one leg, all on purpose because clearly that's fun...but it's not for L and more screaming happens. Memory making, folks. Mem-o-ree making.)

Us: What do the look like?
Rad: What does it have Landry's name on it? Oh, and my name is on one, and Pops, and Gigi, etc... 
Us: Yes. What else is on there?
Rad: A castle.
Us: Yes. And where can you go see a castle?
Rad: Disney World?
Us: YES! YES!! WE ARE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!
Rad: Oh. Cool. I've never been there before. 

(I really should post the video of it, because well, you would better understand... I'll think about it). 


This is basically how I felt... 

image

(I would like to defend myself by saying, that I was holding back a massive migraine. I also may have a slight problem with getting an idea in my head and expecting it to actually happen. This may lead to some discussions with my husband as well. I may seek treatment one day. But for now, I will continue to live in my own little world.)

But then, a smile appeared on his face... 


And after the confusion and clarification, he came over, gave us a hug and just simply said...

"You're wonderful." 


So friends, we're going to DISNEYLAND in 12 DAYS!

And the best gift of all will be the smiles on their faces as they see that magical place for the first time!

3 comments:

  1. http://youtu.be/OOpOhlGiRTM

    My fav Disneyland reaction. I bet you were hoping for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how it goes and any tips you come up with after the trip. We are taking Emmy and my Grandma in November to DW...I have been planning this for two years, so my hopes are HIGH.

    ReplyDelete