9.05.2013

Tiny Tales Thursday...

You may remember that I posted about a fairy tale friendship a couple of weeks ago. The post was inspired by Dee and Mom and my friendship with Jenni.

Sadly, we lost Dee last week. We spent the weekend surrounded by each other celebrating her life and that "dash" that makes up her tiny tale in this big old story of life. And what a beautiful tale it was. I was honored to be able to speak during her service and wanted to share those words so others could get a glimpse into the woman who left a lasting impression and loving legacy on each person she met.


So many questions on our minds with answers we won’t hear
How will we face the day without her being near?
For years she’s been by our side, filling us with love
Teaching us lessons every day He sent from up above
Some were clearly written – we got the message quick
Others were hidden like looking in the forest for a stick
She taught us to love freely, to treat others fair and kind
She also taught me to share, even though that whole sandwich was mine
A car ride was not complete with a song or two from her
Because like Snow White she truly felt one should whistle while you work
Then there was the day she shared with me her love of clean fresh air
She drove me home with the windows down, the breeze blowing my long brown hair
The tricky part was I was sick, and Dee was not impressed
“Hold your head out” she barked at me – as I tried to avoid a mess
And then one time she felt the need to teach me all about
The priceless peace you often get when sitting in time out
Jenni’s hair getting pulled was clearly not my fault
She grabbed mine first I swear it’s true, but she says she got stuck in the knots
The kitchen was unfamiliar ground, cooking was not a gift
I didn’t know what to think when chocolate gravy was on my dish
So many stories I could tell about my second mom
She was strong, courageous, beautiful and mostly always calm
And I guess she had no other choice with 3 girls plus one more
She never knew what story was next when we walked through the door
She listened with an open heart and tried to always understand
And offered up so many prayers while holding out her hand
When I think of what she loved the most, what she wanted us to see
Her faith in Him will always stay her finest legacy
Each battle that she faced each day she handled with such grace
Never sad or complaining, her unwavering strength can never be replaced
Without saying a word, the example that she set
Taught us all about patience and to live with no regrets
She taught us to pray out loud and raise our hands in praise
And that sometimes it was okay if a little hell we raised
In the end her prayers were answered, it was finally time to go
With her last breath, the pain was gone and He gently let her know
Her work was done, she’d done her job, and she no longer had to roam
He took her hand, picked her up and safely took her home

No comments:

Post a Comment