11.19.2013

My happy place...

Last week was amazing. Refreshing. Relaxing. Rejuvenating. and Real fun too. So thankful that during this time of year I got the chance to just step away from the buzz of every day life and spend a few days surrounded by the buzz of my happy place.

I claim NYC as my second city. I think this was trip number 10 for me. And it really just gets better every single time. I feel more and more at home and have zero pressure to do or see anything.

I arrived last Tuesday and did absolutely nothing. It was glorious. I went for a longer than expected run through the streets surrounding Joe and Niki's apartment, napped (twice), hung out with their fur baby, and read books that don't have the word "board" in their description. Sadly, Niki was out of town but Joe and I ended the night with a late dinner.

Cindy joined us around 11pm and after a late (to us) night chat, we were asleep and didn't wake up until after 7am. (also late to us).

Wednesday morning we hopped on the train and headed to the last stop which is Ground Zero/WTC. The 9/11 Memorial is now open and is simply breathtaking. The museum opens in September 2014 and I can imagine that it will be filled with images and stories that are both tragic and beautiful. I can only attempt to imagine what it must have felt like on that day for the people of New York and although it pales in comparison, I imagine it was much of what we felt when Bonfire collapsed. If you are ever in the city, you must take the time to witness this tragic piece of what has become part of our American story.



We then headed to the little corner of the world known as Broadway where we had a date with Romeo and Juliet. And did we ever hit the jackpot. Third row, stage right... also known as the place that Orlando Bloom stood for most of the performance. ::sigh:: 


At this point, we parted ways for a bit. Cindy grabbed dinner and another show and I headed to The Biggest Baby Shower event as part of Dr. Smiths Premium Parent team. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love being part of this team and talking about this product. 

I got to meet so many moms (and dads too) with so many questions about pretty much everything. Some of them had never heard about Dr. Smiths since it has been a regional product for 50 years and some of them had used it with their older children because their pediatrician would call in scripts for it. 

Moms. If a pediatrician 1000s of miles away from the home base of a product calls in a prescription for an OTC item because he/she trusts it that much... you know it's good. 


It really was a blast just hanging out and seeing all the new and fun products for everything baby! Be on the look out for a Biggest Baby Shower inspired post! 

After the shower was over, we grabbed a late night dinner at The Cafeteria. A NYC hot spot located in the heart of Chelsea. Oh my holy comfort food of goodness - is basically how we felt about it.


Then we took the train home and slept. Until 8am. 

WHO ARE WE?!? 

Our last full day was filled with more walking, talking, wine sipping, and fun. We perused some of our favorite stores - you know the ones that we can't afford. Where the tank tops are $50 but you go inside anyway. (If anyone needs hints for Cindy, she needs this. And while these pictures make it look like something Courtney Love would have worn on a date with the late Kurt Cobain... it is the softest item of clothing I have ever felt. And will borrow it lots from her. So it's like a 2fer.)


Walking was then followed by more eating at a random Italian place on 49th. We became friends with Ernie, the drink pourer, and stayed longer than planned. I would fly back this moment for one of those rolls with butter. 


And then we headed out for a Night on the Town Tour that I can't recommend enough! It includes a guided tour by bus through the City, a walk through the Chelsea Market (amazing!)...


 an hour harbor tour around Lady Liberty...

And while it was FREEZING on that water (we really only went out for the pictures) it was so worth it. Such a beautiful view of the City at night (please ignore the blurry pics... I suck at photography. But the boat was moving and I for the life of me could not get the ISO to do whatever it was supposed to do  - photography lessons are on my wish list!)


a "romantic" dinner in Little Italy...


ant tickets to the Top of the Rock. 


It was basically the perfect evening. We even walked "home" stopping of course for only important photo ops such as these.


And all too soon, the sun came out and it was our last morning there. We grabbed coffee and breakfast and headed for a stroll through Central Park. 


We are trying to convince the boys that our Fall 2014 family photos should be here... wouldn't that be lovely?


Until next time, New York! 

No comments:

Post a Comment