2.11.2014

A tiny plastic bag...

One of my favorite job perks is that my kids get exposed to a great group of young adults that are committed to serving our community. This was more difficult when we had baby babies but now that Miss L is nearing two, we get to go out and do lots more fun stuff. Tonight we got to help MSC FISH sort items and make bags for some elderly members of our community. Landry wasn't too impressed at first and it took Emmy a while to warm up enough to detach herself from my leg...


Radley of course jumped right in (and even changed shirts prior to leaving because he wanted to wear an Aggie shirt like the Aggies). 


He also figured out a method that would allow them to stuff the bags quicker by placing the cereal bars on top of the cereal. 


I've never been more proud of his tiny little OCDness. 
:)



We helped my students filled 3 pallets with 24 crates of 5 bags in them each for a total of 360 bags of food. 


I love how I can bring my kids to "work" and not at all be worried about the things they hear or see. They are exposed to such great and wonderful things  and I am so thankful that will group up seeing the value of helping people. 


Landry can write on her college applications that she has been serving her community since she was one year old. 


And I hope that by this exposure that they grow up asking questions and help shape the answers. I hope that they become "the change we wish to see" in our tiny community and beyond. 



Eventually with enough bribery, my sweet students got the girls excited to do more than just be cute. They figured out how to help within their strengths and abilities. And as silly as that may seem... that is what we are all called to do. Help. Within our own strengths and abilities. For some that's time. For some that's treasure. But we all have talents that can be offered to others. 


And that one tiny plastic bag that you open and hand off to another person can be filled with food that will then fill another with nourishment.


So... let this be your encouragement to grab your kids and find a way to get them excited to serve. I can't wait to see what imprints will be left on their hearts and what change they will make in our world. 







No comments:

Post a Comment