3.11.2014

From Texas to Doha: Day 4...

First, check out the students' blog about this exchange. Jayci wrote a BEAUTIFUL entry yesterday that captures just how magical of a place this really is. You seriously don't want to miss her descriptions of the sites and sounds of this city.


Today we got to go "home" ... you know, campus. :) Everyone was so excited to see  where their counterparts spend their time and energy on that small little commitment called college. 

Texas A&M Qatar is located in Education City - in the heart of Doha. This area is made up of 6 schools representing the best in their field of study: 

Carnegie Mellon - Business Administration and Computer Science
Cornell - Medical School
Georgetown - International Economics, International Politics or Culture and Politics
Northwestern - Communication & Journalism
Texas A&M - Engineering
Virginia Commonwealth - Fine Arts

On our drive into campus, we discussed their assumptions and anything that challenged them the day before. We also set some expectations for the day and Jayci reminded us all that more than likely the group will see and experience lavish facilities, state of the art technology in classrooms, and other amenities that may make CS look a little less than polished. But, her reminder included for the group to be proud and grateful for all the things they experience and see and for the opportunities they each are given.


The campus looked extremely different from what we are used to - each building telling a different story with its design. Each college has a separate space with a shared student center and recreation center. I have so enjoyed all of the beauty in the form of architecture that is displayed here. 

As we approached the student center we saw this tent set up outside. Rachel explained that its a place where the men hang out throughout the day - basically the equivalent to a man cave. Our guys were big fans. 


They seriously could not get enough of all the intricate details in the structures that we toured. Everything is so wonderfully designed and perfectly placed, calling you in to either sit, shop, explore or learn.


Where we would have drywall, or limestone, or wood paneling, they have granite and marble. I found it extremely interesting to witness a space that serves the same purpose of my own campus building but be so drastically different.


Although, still very much the same.


I think that what maybe surprises our students the most (and me too) is just that - how very different we can be in faith, in lifestyle, in teachings, in beliefs, and dreams...but also how very much the same we are in faith, in lifestyle, in teachings, in beliefs, and dreams. :)


I loved seeing the Aggie spirit throughout their campus. Maroon happens to be the color of the Qatari flag, so we think A&M is their favorite part of Education City. ;)


A common thread you see throughout the city is the prayer spaces. On campus men and women have their own space complete with a washroom because you have to clean your hands and feet before entering the room. You are called to prayer 5 times a day - can you imagine stopping in the middle of work or play or in between to stop and pray as a community? I think it would be so wonderful to pause as a group in prayer. 



We had another morning full of discoveries...


... in the strangest of places. I loved these quotes on the ginormous soccer balls that they have displayed in honor of the World Cup that Qatar is hosting in 2022.
(I really think we should come back!)


And then our discoveries took us off the beaten path. 

Literally. 

Our TAMQ counterparts had arranged for tours of the desert complete with "duning" which is the Texas equivalent to "mudding". Except crazier. Four Land Cruisers pulled up and quickly (like beyond quickly. Think NY cab drivers and then kick it up a notch and then you get a driver in Qatar) drove us to our destination. 

Along the way we drove past all the camps of the migrant workers. Without this population, this city would not be able to grow nearly as fast. Buildings are being constructed left and right. Roadways are being created, sports arenas are being erected... it must be so overwhelming. These workers help make all of that happen. 


After a quick stop to let the air out of the tires, we were on our way. I'm not sure how to explain the next 30 minutes of my life. Just try to remember your first roller coaster ride... that feeling of fear and excitement. The mixed emotions of loving being scared but not really wanting to die. The scream from within followed by uncontrollable laughter. 

That is duning. 

And I LOVED it. The drivers just knew where to go in the middle of the desert. They knew which turns, which peaks, which valleys and took us on quite a ride. Our particular driver was pretty fearless and at one point I thought the side of the car was going to touch the dunes. They even go down these things in reverse with a fancy little hockey stop at the end. 

Our driver also got the party started by exchanging his traditional arabic music with a little good 'ol 'Merican pop/dance/hip hop.

It was kind of glorious. 

The cars followed each other closely but made sure to leave plenty of room for unexpected twists and turns. 


We made a few stops to play in the sand dunes and take in the scenery.


See way off in the distance behind us? That's Saudi Arabia... CRAZY cakes! When in the world did I ever think that I would be here? Never. But I am so grateful for this trip and the experience these students are getting to have because of it!


Then some of the students decided to run down to the bottom of the dunes.


Which was basically eons long.


But they were still all smiles coming back up.





Hamza was pretty good at keeping us all in line. 


I am proud to say that the girls have accepted me into their group. Now if only I could get them to quit calling me mom. ;)


And then it was our turn.
(Because I clearly can't be outdone.)


And then I realized just how far I had to climb up.

On the same day I thought it was smart to run.

The day after we had walked all over the city. 


And while Melissa and Megan were all smiles...


I was slightly less enthusiastic. 


And dying. 

(Ok, maybe not).


But I made it. And have decided to create this in my own backyard for an amazing workout. 


As we were about to leave we looked up and decided that our drivers were placing bets on how loud they could get us to squeal. Ha!


We drove for another 20 minutes to our dinner destination. 

On the beach. 

With camels.

#isthisreallife


As I walked down to the Persian Gulf it dawned on me that these toes have been on four very different beaches all within a year. What an incredible gift I've been given to travel and journey. The sites and sounds, the people and places, the food and festivities have all taught me so much. 


And as my feet carry me home, I pray that the wisdom that comes with each new journey stays with me so that I may encourage others to do the same.


1 comment: