3.13.2014

From Texas to Doha: Day 6


The girls woke up talking all about their night at Maryams home. They had a great time and came back with some wearable souvenirs. 




Our day started with a slow and easy morning which was a welcome change from the go-go-go of the past several days. Rachel lead the students through a fun question and answer regarding anything they wanted to know about the city of Doha, the State of Qatar,  campus life and traditions. Some thought it was more interesting than others. ;)


We followed that session up with a tour of the newly constructed Residence Halls for Education City.





I’m thinking these are slightly nicer than what our students were used to in CS.





We grabbed a quick bite to eat in their cafeteria and then headed to the Museum of Modern Art.

Honestly, Modern Art isn’t my thing. I appreciate the value art brings to our lives, but I just don’t seem to “get” it. And maybe that’s relative and art is interpretive and all that, but, well… what do you think when you see this…





Beetle Juice Beetle Juice BEETLE JUICE!!

Right?

We saw several very interesting exhibits and the students did a great job offering their perspective. I think it’s just over my head… all so deep. 





They saw hand grenades and I saw vintage perfume bottles. 




They saw land mines and I saw crowns. 



They saw human hair and I saw…. Human hair.





HAHA! I know… why I am throwing mine away when it can become art?

My favorite part of the museum was the signs to the bathrooms. Seriously. Love this. (And I would like to point out that ALL the signs are in both English and Arabic. So all of you people that say we shouldn't have signs in Spanish because "English is the 'Merican language and when you live in America you should speak English....)



After we explored the museum we got on our bus and headed to Corniche to take a Dhow Tour around the harbor. Any chance the students get to sleep, they seem to take it…




The tour was perfect – although slightly dusty. The breeze from the gulf was refreshing, the food was excellent and the company couldn’t get any better.




The city was at our fingertips …









We even made time to Saw'Em Off...




The night ended with a dance party (ladies only) ...





and some shopping. I may have bought some jewelry and I am so excited to see the finished product. Rachel took us to her favorite place in town and we selected some pieces to be specially made for us. And I’m 100% confident in the workmanship of the jeweler because he clearly has good taste…




One more day and then we head home...

No comments:

Post a Comment