5.23.2014

Field Day Fun...

This week Radley experienced a right of passage. A gift to public schools. A memory in the making. A day to never be forgotten.

FIELD DAY!!!

(or should I say, Field Hour-and-a-half).




He was ready.

WE were ready - Gigi and Pete made their way to school for the big event.


Ryan and I were ready to cheer his class on to victory!!


And then they brought out...

the chalk???




What?!?

This is FIELD DAY.

What happened to the 40 yard dash?
The long jump??
The obstacle course???
TUG OF WAR?!?!


What do you mean the kids are just playing games and not competing against other classes??

Isn't this AMERICA?

The home of the every-class-for-himself cut throat competition?

What are we? Commies?!??! 

(I don't really believe that. I am going for humor.)

The classes just moved from station to station to play some games. The kids all loved it, but I will admit, my head already started going to "next year". 

Yes. I am THAT mom.

thankyouverymuch.

But seriously, some things are just MADE for schools.

I believe that Field Day is one of them.

Field Day was a blast. It taught us about sportsmanship. And gave you bragging rights. And it's wear I debuted my "half up-half down" braided pigtails where I had one pig tail pinned on top of my head... I invented it. It was awesome. And also weird. 



Finally there was a contest.

Boys vs Girls Beach Ball Relay.


The boys started out strong.


But they didn't really pay attention (insert sexist joke here) and lost.

We kind of took over and started coaching. Pete was helping the girls, Ryan was with the guys, Gigi was cheering for everyone (#skipme) and I was on photog duty.

Everyone clearly loved us.


Round two was much closer and Radley was ready to win but they came up short after a major wind gust.



Then things started looking a little more familiar...



and then they pulled out the water games. 


Each team was trying to fill the bucket the fastest with a cup that had holes in the bottom...


the kids loved it...


and the more competitive kids had a strategy. Please look at the concentration on his face.


He was definitely "in it to win it".


And they were all destined to get wet!


So while things may be different. And while I may not really love it, I have to admit that the smile on HIS face is what matters. This is his time. His memories. His fun. And I don't want to be that mom that lives through her kids. 



So, I will focus on this image...



And this one...


A bunch of darling kiddos, having the time of their lives at their sweet Field Hour-and-a-Half.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment