6.18.2014

Father's Day Fun...


I'd say that Daddy's Day got started out just as it should... with donuts. I think our count ended at 10 for this one... and I'm not exaggerating. The girls loves a powdered donut. 

After breakfast, the men folk headed out for a round of golf while the women folk stayed home, churned butter, baked bread, and knitted socks. (Or just made potato salad, baked beans, and dessert... but same difference).


Ryan sent me a text around hole 15 to let me know that Radley was playing like Tiger Woods (which is code for, "can we please please please just join the Club already). They came home adequately tired and crammed in a quick nap before lunch. 



There is basically no transition sentence alive for this picture. My princess firefighter. With a wand that ironically looks like a Cruella De Ville cigarette. I think she pulls off the look well. 


And the only thing to cool down that heat... WATER!



A split decision to spend $8 ended up being the most fun afternoon for these four and the six adults that were watching. The giggles and squeals did not stop - the neighbors even came out and watched for a bit.


Uncle Pete lent a hand just to make sure the girls made it the whole way down.



But Radley's running start made sure that he hit the blue at the end (that and the palmolive soap we added).


I remember sitting at the luxurious Lake Bryan on Mother's Day thinking about how great life would be if we just celebrated every single day in the simplest ways.   


I love that these "Hallmark holidays" force us to stop and give pause. Force us to do what we should do every day -- celebrate those we love with the ones we love.



Create the most adorable moments that we should have all the time. Because you can't get away with showing your cheeks forever, right? 


I mean, when was the last time you stopped and put your mouth over a sprinkler to catch some water? We can't possibly do that anymore, can we?


And just as I was thinking about what fun childhood is to watch... I looked up to see this...


Out of all the things that I love about my baby daddy... this is at the top of the list. His ability to enjoy and laugh and joke and just BE with the kids. He sees so much fun in them. He LOVES their silly. He IS silly. He has sword fights. He lets them watch movies that he shouldn't. He plays dress up. He knows how to fix the girls' hair. He does the most annoying things that I can't help but laugh at. He makes me want to be better at appreciating those child-like moments of the kids that I feel like can "get in the way" of whatever task is on my list. 

He makes me give pause, kick off my shoes and enjoy the simple of life. 

And I really love him for it!

Happy Daddy's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment