6.09.2014

Hole in one...

I have a confession to make. 

I am overwhelmed as a mom. 

I ask myself 1000 questions a day... most of them leaning along the "am I doing ______ right?" Need examples: Did we pick the right school? Do they eat enough vegetables? Do we play outside enough? Do we let them watch too much TV? Do we let them watch "bad" TV? Did I take enough pictures? Did I make them feel special? Did I make it to enough activities? Do I raise my voice too much? Do I snap too quick? Am I patient enough? Do we read to them enough? Do we let them play alone enough? Do we let them play alone too much?

Etc... 

Recently the "am I doing ____ right? in terms of parenting is centered around activities. As in "extra" stuff for the kiddos. Like soccer, gymnastics, golf, dance... you know the stuff that should be fun for us all. But it just stresses me out. I am not good at "normal." I will admit it - I don't know how to just "be"... I want to make sure that I'm doing it right.



Does that sound familiar?

And I succumb to the unspoken pressure of ... no one. What? That doesn't even make sense. But it's true. Blogs, facebook, instagram... you know the 10% of life that we get to see of all of our friends and loved ones that has everyone smiling. Need an example... keep reading this blog. ;)


Why do I do this to myself? Why do you do this to yourself? (because I know at least one of you reading this does the same thing). 



I don't have any answer other than just do what works for you. Right now what works for us are these awesome day camps that the City of College Station is offering this summer. Last week Radley went to golf camp each day for 1.5 hours. 


They focused on basic skills of the game and he got to hang out with some of his friends. Nothing fancy or expensive, just a few hours a day for him to do something he enjoys.



He had a great time and that's what matters to me. 


Hopefully I'll get this parenting thing down one day!


No comments:

Post a Comment