8.05.2014

The King and I Power Cook...

There are a few things I love more than being productive and efficient. It's a sickness, really. I am that girl that really does have a list for every day with items that I check off. Even my "stay in bed all day" days are on a list that I check. Because then I feel productive instead of lazy.

Welcome to my crazy...sit down... enjoy the show. Hashtags welcome. 

So, this was my last weekend at home before heading back to work (cue the sad music) so I wanted to make sure that we got stuff done. And we did... Saturday we hit the pool, took naps, played at the park and enjoyed a fun relaxing family day. So, on Sunday... it.was.ON. Meaning, we actually got stuff done. Welcome to Power Cooking: the King and I. 


Ryan headed to grocery store super early on Sunday morning to get all of our weekly groceries plus what we needed for this session. I just realized that I have never included the entire recipes from our cooking sessions, so as an added bonus today, I attempted to make some cute recipe cards that you can pin or print out. (I made them in PicMonkey and formatted them to be a 5/x7). (I think). 

We picked our favorite recipes from our previous PC sessions which include:

1. Turkey Tetrazzini - We love this one and it "freezes beautifully" (seriously, if you know that quote then PLEASE leave it in the comments!). We serve it with broccoli or asparagus and crunchy french bread. 





2. Crunchy Ranch Chicken Tenders - The kids LOVE this. And, Radley was a HUGE help making it this time. He helped dredge and coat all the chicken which cut my time in half. He also insistent on keeping our cooking space clean. He is mine. All mine. :) We serve this with baked beans, mac and cheese, and they also make a yummy sandwich. 



Those two recipes are from my go-to Southern Living cook book. Order this... tons of great recipes inside!

3.  Sloppy Joe's - My kids LOVE sloppy joe's... like eat it with a spoon. I use an old family recipe that requires the skilled technique of no measurement. Brown 2 lbs of ground beef. Add, salt, pepper, ketchup, BBQ, Worcestershire, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little mustard. Once that is all mixed in, cover with water and cook until you are content with the amount of "sloppy". (I didn't make a card for this one, because there are no measurements. It felt weird.)

4. Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos - I've posted these a few times...they are so stinking good, so easy and so QUICK when it's time to eat. I love that they are the healthier version of a frozen food staple and that you can mix anything in them. We usually do a kid version and adult version, but our kids seem to be digging some cilantro lately, so we left it in. I serve with sliced avocado, black beans, spanish rice. Family favorite for sure. 

5. Stroganoff - Our friend, Jennifer, has made this for nearly every power cooking session we've had... and basically because Ryan would cry if she didn't. He LOVES this stuff and you will, too. I asked her if I could share and she said yes but only if I credited Joy... so Joy, my husband (and his tummy) thank you!



After all was said and done, we had 3 casseroles, 30+ taquitos, 25 tenders, 2 bags of sloppy joes, and 2 bags of stroganoff. 



That's roughly 15 dinners for us. We spent $150 which equals $10/meal and roughly $2/person. 

Now go forth. Be powerful. Cook. 






1 comment: