9.10.2014

A life more ordinary...

Is it just me or does life seem like it's a bit out of control these days? Between waking up and going to sleep there are approximately 2,803 things that happen. And out of those, I'd estimate about 11 of them being things that actually have to happen (school, work, drinking water, eating, etc..)

Life.

It's a giant overwhelming mess. 

I can't keep up. I constantly feel like I am spiraling in the wrong direction. I forget things. I do things half-way. I melt down. And then I yell at my kid for melting down. (Please try not to be impressed with my parenting skills).

I see all these amazing things that other mommas accomplish and then I feel like a big loser because I didn't color coordinate my kid's lunch to match his clothes.

(Yes, that's apparently a thing).

(But if I'm honest, I don't even make my kid's lunch, Ryan does, so I am ultimately the winner).

(Not that it's a competition). 

So, in my obsession over not keeping up with the Stepford moms (as I affectionately call them) Radley and I made a trip to HobLob for one thing, a photo album. And then it happens - the panic attack feeling that comes when you start thinking about all the craft projects that you aren't doing with your kids that clearly every other mom in the Pinterest world is doing. 

All you have to do is search fall crafts for kids on Pinterest and BAM! It's a "you are such a failure mom slap in the face". 

Y'all.


Fifty. 

5-0. 

FIFTY fall crafts for kids. 

Why? 

Can we not all come together in a joint session of motherhood and just not.

I'm sure some of you that are reading this and know me well are rolling your eyes, because, well... I have done a Pinterest project or two and I will again, I am sure.

But y'all... a bird out of pine cones? My kids had trouble with snowmen out of powdered donuts... how are they going to successfully use a hot glue gun and make a bird out of pine cones. I'll stick to the poster board monster.

AND... I almost forgot to get Radley a birthday card - when in the world am I going to have time to gather pine cones, purchase googley eyes and make feet out of pipe cleaners? I'm not.

So, instead... on our little trip to HobLob as my eldest child is begging me for a craft project, I came across $2 ceramic pumpkins and we already had paint at home.

And you know what...


They loved it. 



And I'd bet that they loved this little project way more than some intricate mess like this:




Because 1. Where in the world do you find leaves that perfect? 2. A project like that is more parent driven and less child focused. 



And our $6 was well spent... it gave them a way to be creative, it gave them time with us watching them, listening to them and encouraging them and it gave us the cutest entrance on the street. 


So here's to a life more ordinary... 

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Yes, yes, YES! Here's to ordinary - with a little side of extra! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me the extra ordinary is going to be so much better than extraordinary! :)

      Delete
  2. All all God's children said AMEN! Thank you! I'm in love with a life more ordinary! Nice to find your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete