10.09.2014

Wicked awesome...

Ever since I can remember I have loved Boston, well, the thought of Boston. I've never actually been. But I have LOVED it. I had basically created this image in my head on what I thought it would be like based on:
1. History
2. College brochures
3. Goodwill Hunting

Clearly, all valid sources. And, you know what... my predictions were correct - it was amazing. If you only had to judge on food alone, check out my first meal in the city... 


And if that wasn't enough - check out my company! This girl is one of my dearest friends, so sweet, so brilliant, so loving, so awesome and I got to hang with her for 3 days. Boston is the greatest. 


I arrived on Saturday (later than expected due to some bird and a plane) so Kadie and I had lots to get accomplished on Sunday. We left her apartment at 9:30am and didn't return until after 7pm...which meant we walked the entire city and it was glorious. 

Seriously, feast your eyes on the landscape ...


Y'all. This is an actual cobblestone road. Like hundreds of years old. How freaking adorable is this? Just imagine the family photo session that could happen here. (Sarah... wanna go to Boston?)





Kadie said that up until a few years ago, they had people come light and extinguish the fire in the lamps every day. Crazy. 


There was not one ugly thing about this place. Boston Common is straight out of Mary Poppins. I seriously expected to see carousel horses racing along the dirt path any second. The leaves were just starting to change, but the cool breeze had already arrived and I took advantage of the surroundings the next day and went for a very uncharacteristic 4-mile run. 





We made an early afternoon pit stop at Cheers and sat next Norm's seat. The TV show was based on a famous bar in Boston, formerly known as Bull & Finch Pub. 


We felt it was our duty to enjoy a frosty beverage and some bar food in honor of such a tv classic. 


Then we walked the Freedom Trail, which takes you on a two mile trek through historical landmarks throughout the city. It is INGENIOUS - you follow a red-bricked line and stop along the way at amazing markers like this. 

Y'all. Samuel Adams. This is amazing. 


I'm not really a history buff at all. It's almost embarrassing how much I don't really enjoy history - but even this had me in awe. 


We stopped at a few churches that had boxed pew seating. I can basically not advocate for a resurgence of this trend enough.  Each family had a box. Picture it friends, your children are contained... IN FRONT of you. They aren't at risk of dropping books or cheerios in the pew in front or behind just to test you. They won't stare awkwardly at the family behind you kneeling during the Eucharistic Prayer. They will be within reach of you. At all times. Contained.

Can I get an AMEN?


I just thought this was so interesting. I also pretty much teared up at Old North Church which is the location made famous by Longfellow's poem when he mentions "one if by land, two if by sea" ... the lanterns were in this church. 


We took in the sites and sounds and made our way all through town. 

(Clearly, Longfellow is not the only poet.)



And ended our day on a high with the best "chowdah" in town. 


I spent Monday walking around Harvard which is as majestic as you may imagine. Seriously, a gorgeous campus. 


This was Emmy's favorite picture of my trip.

"Emersyn?! Hey - that's me!"


Every single part of my trip was amazing... which is no surprise when this is your breakfast. 

(In our defense, we did a spinning class and jogged/walked two miles on our trek for this.)


Yes, Boston you have won my heart... and I am so glad you did because I have waited my lifetime to meet you. Thanks for not letting me down... I am already planning my next trip. 

But, as amazing as you are, Beantown...being home with these three (and their daddy) is where my heart really belongs. 



1 comment:

  1. Another great entry! Love it! Such a gift for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete