11.06.2014

Turkey talk...

I made a deal with Emmy - she was supposed to stay 3 forever. She was so good at 3 - she didn't need to move up that age ladder. But, she did anyway, deal or no deal. 

And you know what? I'm so glad she did, because she really is pretty fabulous at four! (I didn't expect anything less, really). 

One of the things I love most about parenting is how much my kids can surprise me with their abilities or interests. The way they "get" something when I didn't expect them to. Most of the time this is because I, admittedly, have a role for each of the kids. (I know, I know... but I'm being honest). 

Radley - the learner, the pleaser, the I must do everything correctly at all times
Emmy - the boho chic one, the happy child, the world is her dance floor and she has on high heels
Landry - the one that is happy being happy, the I can play alone child, I don't need to do anything but be the baby 

So, Emmy. It's not that I didn't think that she would want to do homework or be eager to learn, it's that I didn't expect her to. Got that? From age 2, Radley came home worried about getting some checked off a list. (Ehm, hi. He's mine.) Emmy's always been good with whatever - and I LOVE and ADORE that about her. 


She had a mini-homework assignment this week where she got to decorate a feather for a turkey at school. Each kiddo brought home a plain white piece of paper shaped like a giant feather and were told to decorate it at home and bring back to school. Emersyn was so excited to get to do this and had about 2085 ideas on how she wanted it done. 

She settled on flowered fabric and pictures of the family and we got to work. 

She cut out the strips of fabric and pictures all by herself. 

I was so surprised by her independence and I'm not really sure why. It reminded me to pay more attention to her, ask her more questions about her day and listen and watch more closely about what interests her. Our conversations generally default to Radley - he's the oldest, the loudest talker, and usually has the most to say.

This one tiny little thing reminded me that I need to give each of my kiddos the chance to share their voice, too.


I loved watching her and listening to her ideas of exactly how it should look. She found letter stickers and added her name to the bottom and asked me to make a big giant purple bow for the top.


She was so proud of her finished product and couldn't wait to take it to school to show off. 



Funny, I feel the same way about her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment