12.08.2014

Little hands...

Little hands seem to want to help at the most inopportune times. You know, like when you are hanging ornaments on the tree or wrapping presents. :) I would love to be the "go-with-the-flow" mom like some of my friends are, the "it-will-all-work-out" type, the "let it be" kind. But, I'm not. I'm a planner. I like things a certain way, and I happen to be a tiny bit into the placement of some ornaments.

And let's not get me started on my beliefs of the use of double-sided tape when wrapping so the tape can't be seen.

I'm crazy. And I'm okay with it.

BUT... I'm also a Mom (which kind of adds to the crazy) and when those little hands with great big giant overflowing hearts want to help, then I can't very well say no. Especially when spreading Christmas joy is involved.

Gigi had the best idea to let the kids stamp brown paper this year. I wrapped the gifts, the kids stamped stars or Santa or cute little 25s to their hearts were content and then I added the bow. I also found adorable chalk board stickers and Emmy and Radley added the names.


We got lost for a couple of hours wrapping gifts, taking turns, telling stories, spelling names and breaking into impromptu dance parties. 

Now it wasn't all sugar - there was also some spice. Some tears and not just from me. ;) (Y'all, I really like to wrap presents.) 

But - it may be my favorite wrapping yet. 

And not because it is perfect. Or shiny. Or the most pinteresty thing in the world. 

Nope. Because it is ours. Because it is a lesson to me - it's funny how no one really tells you that parenthood is a constant teacher. I learn more every day from them, with them. 



I know it's the kids.

Because they helped. Because they contributed. Because they got to stamp and tape and cut(!). Because the amount of love that goes into the package has nothing to do with what it looks like and everything to do with how it is given.

Here's to letting the little hands share their big hearts more often this season and beyond.



3 comments:

  1. This is lovely! It's a lesson I'm working on, as well. Thanks for the reminder.
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my sisters three were little she always used brown paper. the kids then colored on the packages. They are treasures to me. I have piece of the wrapping franked and bring them out every year as part of my decor. her oldest...pretty darn talented. He is currently on a full scholarship to Carnegie Mellon for graduate school in theatrical scenic design. One of these days the artist behind some of my most treasured pictures is going to win a Tony! Love love love how you love your little!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! What a great idea to frame pieces to add to the decor!

      Delete