4.08.2015

Fixer {S}upper: Enchilada Pasta

I sent Ryan a link to a "one pot pasta" dish that was making its way around Facebook a few weeks ago and he made it for dinner one night. And he was hooked on this whole "get one pan dirty and make a really yummy meal" thing. So we have tried a few more since then - he has even pinned a few on his on Pinterest account. (Y'all should totally follow him). This one was a major hit and combines two of my favorite things - pasta and enchiladas. Yum. 

No. 2 Pencil


They give you all the glorious step by step pics over at No. 2, so go there if you like that sort of thing. 


Ingredients
2 TBS EVOO (if you don't know that shorthand, well, then you don't know Rachel Ray)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, diced
1.25 pounds of taco seasoned ground turkey or lean ground beaf
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 19oz can of red enchilada sauce
8oz (about 2.5 cups) of rotini pasta
2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
green onions
black olives

Instructions

1. In a large skillet or pan, saute garlic and onions in EVOO until softened
2. Add ground turkey and brown, breaking up with wooden spoon
3. Once meat is cooked through, add pasta, chicken broth and enchilada sauce to pan
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover
5. Cook on low, with pan covered for 15 minutes.
6. Remove lid and let simmer for additional 5 minutes until pasta is tender and sauce has reduced
7. Remove lid and stir in 1 cup of cheese
8. Top pasta with additional cup of cheese and melt under broiler for a minute or two, or place lid on back and let heat from pasta melt cheese
9. Garnish with black olives and green onions

How did I Fixer {S}upper?

1. I used a medium onion - because we like onion
2. I again used the pre-minced garlic, just a few "plops" in the pan. (My Sicilian ancestors are cringing)
3. I also didn't pre-season the meat, or use taco seasoning. We are big fans of Gerbhardt Chili Powder, which is what I use when I make tacos so I just that
4. I didn't use anywhere close to TWO CUPS of cheese. Y'all. That's insane. Less is more and you can always add more on top. Sheesh.
5. We added corn, I just drained a can of whole kernel corn and added at the end to heat through
6. No olives, but I did sneak green onions in there instead of putting them on top
7. I topped the kids with a little more cheese and some sour cream
8. We used wheat pasta


Big hit - the kids even asked for it again the next night. I was even able to stay on my 21 day Fix and not feel like I cheated. I just portioned everything out using my containers and was completely satisfied! Y'all really should join me on this!

Any new recipes I should try??


No comments:

Post a Comment