4.25.2016

Let's Talk: Hair + Makeup

I'm pretty excited about today's "let's talk" subject - notsomuch because I have lots to share but hopefully lots to LEARN. Now, grab a glass of wine, cup of joe or a tall sweet tea... I think Andrea and Erika would love that you get comfortable during the conversation. 




I do have a few tricks of the trade to share with you but don't get your hopes up too high because heaven only knows that my "beauty regime" is more like the lack there of. Basically I have two FAVORITE things when it comes to my favorite products/routine, but two is basically one and one is such a lonely number that I had to beef it up. 

So here goes.

I know nothing really about make-up. I do know that I occasionally wear more than mascara and lip gloss and that sometimes I do an okay job. But the truth is, it's because I follow the instructions. 

No, really...


I love the Urban Decay line because they all come with easy-to-follow instructions complete with pictures. Basically amazing. I mean... I do my own make-up for events and I'm not embarrassed. ;)


**I did NOT do my own hair.**

But after all that make-up comes on, I need it off. I'm a nightly face-washer. Sometimes if I accidentally fall asleep, I will magically wake up in the middle of the night to wash my face. And, don't be overwhelmed by my fancy cleanser of choice, but Dove soap is the best. I have used this and only this to wash my face since my first trip to the dermatologist in the 7th grade. It works for me, it works for my kids. It's lovely. I sometimes spice it up and buy the pink bar, but that's just when I'm feeling crazy. 


My favorite face washing combo is a $4 buf-puf and some Dove. I use warm water, lather the buffer pad and gently scrub. My face loves it and so does my wallet.

While this technically has nothing to do with hair+make-up, I still want to share because we have to stick together y'all. I am a tried and true bath girl. I love baths - even over showers. I know that's weird to some people, but I love them. The hotter the better. All I need is a glass of ice water, a book and a few towels for my head. 

One of my favorite things to do is soak in some Skin So Soft. I LOVE this stuff. It smells delightful and it really does leave your skin SOOOOOOOO soft. And, it keeps mosquitoes away! Find yourself an Avon lady and order some SSS. 


(Do Avon ladies still exist? And does the fact I know about them put me in the category of old lady?)

Brace yourselves. This is my favorite favorite of all four. I'm gonna have to share a tiny bit of information so don't get freaked out. 

Hi. My name is Katy. And I have hairy legs. 

(Oh... did they mean hair on your head?) 
(I'm kidding, I'll get to that.)

Whew. That was scary. And hard. But it's true. I'm Sicilian and no matter what I do, my legs stay smooth for about 4 seconds and then I can physically feel the dang stubble start to grow. I also seem to acquire chill bumps as if I was standing on Antartica itself which is the most annoying thing in the world. 

 I wasn't allowed to shave my legs until I was in junior high, which was TORTURE (its true, Mom). I actually snuck and shaved them once and my VBFF TOLD on me (thanks, Jenni). It was horrible. But, then in the 7th grade I got my very own razor for Christmas and I have been trying to perfect the PERFECT shave since then.

And I have done it.

Conditioner (any kind) + Venus Olay razor = Perfection.


Seriously. I happened upon this combo accidentally a coupe of years ago when I ran out of shaving cream and then I was so angry because I had been wasting money on shaving cream for a decade. You just need conditioner!! (And don't be too impressed by that White Rain above - it's hard being so fancy.) (Also, one bottle lasts for a YEAR!)

Seriously. Stop reading this and go shave your legs. 


Let me preface this by saying, that although I have been using a curling iron for over two DECADES... I didn't really actually truly learn to curl my hair until I was 25. TWENTY-five. I'm not even exaggerating. I'm just not the hair and make-up kind of girl. I wish I was, but I'm not. BUT...I acquired some accidental knowledge that I feel like I need to share with you. It is my duty as an over-sharer/blogger. (Come in a little closer so I can whisper).

I have found the perfect curl. 

Shall I repeat?

I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT CURL!!!

I know! This is huge! And like I said, accidental. I should probably test this hypothesize more than once before making it a fact, but I feel so sure about it that I had to tell you now.

#denada

And my definition of "perfect" is a loose curl that LASTS. 
I feel like you need a timeline ...

9pm Monday, April 18: Washed hair, let hair air dry, curled damp hair; could see steam
Tuesday, April 19: Survived down pours and humidity
5:30am Wednesday, April 20: Woke up late, dry shampoo, got dressed and didn't have to curl hair. MAJOR MOM WIN.


Thursday, April 21:  Some people are excited when they PRed a run, or finished that crazy hard WOD, or fit into a pair of pants that haven't seen the light of day since 1999, I'm over here ecstatic that I haven't washed my hair since Monday and managed to make a pony tail look appropriate for work.



I KNOW! I mean, that's crazy talk. I did use hairspray, but I buy $2 Garnier hairspray so I don't think it was that. I think that it was the fact that I curled DAMP hair and it basically steamed my hair dry. 

As I am typing this (11pm on Thursday) my hair still looks like this and I actually brushed it. 


I wash my hair twice a week and rely on this dry shampoo from Target (that's a real fancy place, it's pronounced tar-JAY) but I'm on the hunt for a good one made for brunettes. Suggestions?


So there you have it, my tricks of the trade... go check out some more over with Andrea and Erika now!




1 comment:

  1. Very valuable information, it is not at all blogs that we find this, congratulations I was looking for something like that and found it here. Best Makeup Tips

    ReplyDelete