4.18.2017

Katy the Cleaning Lady: Detergent Review

For as far back as I can remember, I have loved to clean. Like unusually enjoyed the practice of cleaning house. All my friends wanted to play teacher or house - not me. I literally played "Katy the Cleaning Lady." I remember asking for a broom and cleaning supplies for Christmas. One summer, I convinced Jenni that we should be chemists and invented our own cleaning solution.

I have tried having housekeepers and I just didn't enjoy it. I mean, it was nice to come home to vacuumed house, but I am that person that just was never satisfied. Just call me Alexander Hamilton. (Double points if you get the reference.)

So I'm pretty darn excited to debut this new little series where I review cleaning products for you dear readers. (I wish I would have thought to take an awesome picture of me holding some cleaning supplies or paid someone to make a me an image, but let's be honest - I'll get sidetracked and won't follow through with this.) But in case I do... Let me know if you've been dying to try something and I will do my best to try it for you!

I'm starting with an oldie but a goodie because I posted a picture on instagram a couple of weeks ago while we were making a batch of laundry detergent and got tons of questions. So, back by popular demand - I'm going to give you some of my opinions on using homemade laundry detergent.



In short...

WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch that?

I did a three month review way back in 2015 and I haven't really changed my tune. We still love this stuff! Wanna know why?

1. Annoying odor that comes with front load washers - gone
2. Saves tons of money! (I'd estimate $200/year)
3. Less waste because you aren't buying detergent
4. Clothes feel and smell so fresh and our whites are brighter than normal
5. Super duper easy to make...


The original recipe calls for... 
  1. 1 box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
  2. 1 box of Borax (4lb 12oz)
  3. 3 bars Fels Naptha soap - grated**
  4. 4lb Oxi Clean**
  5. 1 box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
  6. Purex Crystals (optional)
** Y'all. Save yourself time and tips of fingers and buy the Zote washing flakes instead
** There is no such thing as a 4lb box of Oxi Clean - we just estimate


Clearly if you are looking for a green, all natural laundry detergent recipe, this isn't it. But if you want your clothes clean and smelling great - see above.

A little goes a super long way which is why this lasts so long. We have a house of 5 people and I do on average, 6-10 loads each week. In the summer, I do at least one load every day because I can't stand damp bathing suits and towels sitting around.


Other things to note:

1. Some recipes call for Ivory soap, I actually use Ivory soap to clean stains from clothes prior to washing
2. I love the new Purex Crystals we bought - smells so good! Curious how Downy unstoppables would work.
3. I still use liquid Downy to soften clothes - but my next project may be homemade fabric softener. Any recipes I should try?

You basically feel like you invented biscuits in a can after you make this. I mean how much more Martha can I be??

Happy Tuesday and happy washing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment